May 17, 2022
Visit Program Webpage
||Advanced Diploma in Civil Engineering Bridge to the University of British Columbia
The Civil Engineering Bridge to the University of British Columbia program is offered by Camosun College with co-operation of the University of British Columbia (UBC). Students with an approved diploma in Civil Engineering Technology, or a related discipline, can take this one year program to upgrade their mathematics, sciences, and related engineering knowledge in preparation for entering the third year of Applied Science (Engineering) at UBC.
- High school transcripts - 1 official copy
- Other postsecondary transcripts - 1 official copy
- Regardless of relevance to engineering studies all postsecondary transcripts must be submitted
And one of:
- A Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology within the last 5 years with a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 (B) and no individual course marks below a “C” grade - 1 official copy
- A Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology more than 5 years ago with a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 (B) and no individual course marks below a “C” grade - 1 official copy and a Letter of Intent outlining work experience and or professional development since graduation
- A diploma from another closely related discipline within the last 5 years with a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 (B) and no individual course marks below a “C” grade and approved by the Engineering Bridge Coordinator) - 1 official copy
- Camosun College diploma graduates are not required to submit their Camosun transcripts
- “In progress” transcripts may be accepted if students are currently enrolled in the final courses of their diploma program. The courses must be completed prior to acceptance for admission.
- Diploma programs must be Canadian Engineering Technologies accredited to be accepted for admission
- Regardless of relevance to Engineering studies all postsecondary transcripts must be submitted
Admission Selection Process
GPA is calculated using all courses taken toward completion of a student’s Technology diploma, including all course repeats.
A joint meeting between the University of British Columbia and Camosun College rank the applicants based on the GPA achieved to determine which applicants will be offered admission to the Bridge program.
At the completion of the program students will be able to:
- Apply a foundational knowledge of engineering-related mathematics to engineering studies.
- Display an understanding of chemistry as applied to engineering problems.
- Apply Matlab to the solution of Civil Engineering problems.
- Display a fundamental understanding of statics, dynamics, work and energy, and the resulting effects on engineering structures.
- Display an introductory knowledge of waves, optics, thermal energy, electricity and magnetism, and simple electrical circuits.
- Display an understanding of geology as it applies to Civil Engineering applications.
- Practice core critical thinking, reading, research and writing skills transferable to academic disciplines.
Optional Program Credential Designation
Program Completion Requirements
- The Civil Engineering Bridge to the University of British Columbia program is offered in the Fall and Winter semesters (September to April) for entry into UBC in September.
- To obtain the Camosun College Bridge credential and to be eligible for admission to third year of the Engineering Program at the University the following criteria is applicable:
- Students must obtain a “C” grade or higher in each course. If a “D” or “F” grade is received, the student must repeat the course and obtain a grade of “C+” or higher. Repetition of a course to obtain a higher grade will only be permitted once.
- The Camosun College Bridge Program must be completed within two consecutive years. If a student wants to drop or withdraw from any course they must obtain permission prior to doing so, as there may be consequences that could adversely affect their admission to the University. Students must consult Academic Advising regarding any program or course changes.