Feb 26, 2024
Visit Program Webpage
|Certificate in Medical Office Assistant
The Medical Office Assistant Certificate Program is designed to provide the foundational knowledge, skills and abilities needed for success as an entry level Medical Office Assistant. In addition to interpersonal, communication, organizational, information management, problem solving and clinical skills, graduates are prepared to engage in basic triage of patients, charting, billing, and scheduling while working independently in a variety of health care settings.
Students will combine their Medical Office studies with applied learning opportunities allowing students the practical application of the program concepts while gaining valuable industry‐specific experience.
Opportunities for Academic Advancement
Students may be able to use courses taken in this program in other credentials in the School of Business or the College.
- Keyboarding speed of 30wpm is recommended.
At the completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply administrative principles and skills to support and enhance the effective operation of medical or healthcare organization.
- Use effective verbal, written, electronic and non-verbal communication skills appropriate to the intended audience following appropriate workplace standards.
- Use effective interpersonal and inter-culturally appropriate skills with individuals, clients and teams to enhance communications and work collaboratively and cooperatively within the workplace environment.
- Use effective critical-thinking and time management skills to facilitate effective decision making and problem solving.
- Demonstrate professional, accountable and ethical skills in an appropriate business setting.
- Produce and distribute accurate business documents using appropriate software tools, platforms or channels in a variety of business/workplace contexts.
- Demonstrate an ability to interact with clients in a respectful and culturally sensitive way.
- Take direction, make decisions and initiate appropriate action as required.
- Apply organizational skills to facilitate the completion of tasks and to meet deadlines.
- Locate, retrieve, produce, manage and organize data and information using appropriate and secure file management systems.
- Apply basic billing procedures with software to record and complete basic financial functions.
- Conduct basic clinical skills that contribute to the efficient and safe flow and management of patients and tasks within a medical or health care office.
Program Participation Requirements
- Criminal Record Check is required.