May 19, 2022
Visit Program Webpage
||Certificate in Automotive Service Technician Foundation
This 30 week program is designed to prepare the student for entry into the Automotive Service Technician trade. Students will learn automotive tools and equipment, general automotive maintenance and practices, electrical/electronic systems, brakes, steering and suspension service, as well as engine performance and repair.
Career/Academic Advancement Opportunities
Students will be prepared for entry into many areas of the automotive industry, including as a lube technician, tire repair technician, brake & muffler installer, or parts person. In addition, successful students will receive accreditation towards an Automotive Service Technician Apprenticeship Level One and have the opportunity to write the AST 1 Certificate of Qualification exam.
And one of:
- C in Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 11
- C in MATH 038
Note: If you don’t have one of the preferred math requirements the college will accept a C or higher in Foundations of Math 11 and Pre-calculus 11, or Principles of Math 11, or Applications of Math 11, or MATH 073 or MATH 137.
At the completion of the program students will be able to:
- Perform safety related functions.
- Demonstrate employment readiness skills.
- Use tools, equipment and documentation to service automobiles and light trucks.
- Use communication techniques in order to resolve automobile and light truck service issues.
- Service drive shafts and axles.
- Perform general automotive maintenance.
- Describe general automotive practices.
- Service electrical systems and components.
- Service steering, suspension and braking systems.
- Service tires, wheels, hubs and wheel bearings.
- Service body components, accessories and trim.
- Implement specific safety protocol for hybrid and electric vehicles.
- AMEC 110 - AST Foundation - 900 hours
Program Completion Requirements
- 70% weighted as per ITA directed curriculum.