Aug 09, 2022
Visit Program Webpage
||Advanced Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Bridge to the University of Victoria
The Mechanical Engineering Bridge to the University of Victoria program is offered by Camosun College with co-operation of the University of Victoria (UVic). Students with an approved diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology, or a related discipline, can take this one year program to upgrade their mathematics, sciences, and related engineering knowledge in preparation for entering the third year of Engineering at the University of Victoria.
- High school transcripts - 1 official copy.
- Other postsecondary transcripts - 1 official copy.
- Regardless of relevance to engineering studies all postsecondary transcripts must be submitted
And one of:
- A Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology within the last 5 years with a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 (B) and no individual course marks below a “C” grade - 1 official copy.
- A Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology more than 5 years ago with a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 (B) and no individual course marks below a “C” grade - 1 official copy. and a Letter of Intent outlining work experience and or professional development since graduation
- A diploma from another closely related discipline within the last 5 years with a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 (B) and no individual course marks below a “C” grade and approved by the Engineering Bridge Coordinator) - 1 official copy.
- Camosun College diploma graduates are not required to submit their Camosun transcripts
- “In progress” transcripts may be accepted if students are currently enrolled in the final courses of their diploma program. The courses must be completed prior to acceptance for admission.
- Diploma programs must be Canadian Engineering Technologies accredited to be accepted for admission
- Regardless of relevance to engineering studies all postsecondary transcripts must be submitted.
Admission Selection Process
- GPA is calculated using all courses taken toward completion of a student’s Technology diploma, including all course repeats.
- A joint meeting between the University of Victoria and Camosun College rank the applicants based on the GPA achieved to determine which applicants will be offered admission to the Bridge program.
At the completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply a foundational knowledge of engineering-related mathematics to engineering studies.
- Display an understanding of chemistry as applied to engineering problems.
- Apply Java and “C” programming languages to engineering problem solving.
- Design and analyze simple linear electronic circuits.
- Display a fundamental understanding of metallurgy and thermodynamics as applied to Mechanical Engineering.
- Display an introductory knowledge of the function of electronic components as they relate to engineering applications.
Optional Program Credential Designation
Program Completion Requirements
- The Mechanical Engineering Bridge to the University of Victoria program is offered in the Winter and Fall semesters for entry into the third year of Engineering at the University of Victoria in January.
- To be eligible for admission to third year of the Engineering Program at the University the following criteria is applicable:
- Students must obtain a “C” grade or higher in each course. If a “D” or “F” grade is received, the student must repeat the course and obtain a grade of “C+” or higher. Repetition of a course to obtain a higher grade will only be permitted once.
- The Camosun College Bridge Program must be completed within two consecutive years. If a student wants to drop or withdraw from any course they must obtain permission prior to doing so, as there may be consequences that could adversely affect their admission to the University. Students must consult Academic Advising regarding any program or course changes.