Jun 06, 2023
Visit Program Webpage
||Associate of Arts Degree in Pre-Social Work
Camosun College offers a two-year associate degree designed to help you pursue a career in social work. Your associate degree will include a range of integrated courses, including sociology, psychology, women’s studies, Indigenous studies, social policy, and English.
Opportunities for Academic Advancement
This program provides all the courses necessary to meet the academic portion of the admission requirements needed to apply to the Bachelor of Social Work degree program at the University of Victoria.
At the completion of the program students will be able to:
- Communication skills -written and oral.
- Communicate clearly, concisely and coherently in a style appropriate for the purpose, situation and audience.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Assess, evaluate and process complex information appropriate to an area of concentration or the discipline.
- Solve problems relevant to a variety of disciplinary applications.
- Demonstrate the skills and understanding necessary to use numbers and mathematics to deal effectively with common problems.
- Perform information retrieval and evaluation.
A student who earns an Associate Degree completes 20 courses, and each course must be transferable, in the year taken, to at least one BC Research University:
- University of Victoria (UVic)
- University of British Columbia (UBC)
- University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO)
- University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC)
- Simon Fraser University (SFU)
Students should use the BC Transfer Guide to confirm transfer of each course taken.
Students planning to complete an Associate Degree in Pre-Social Work and then transfer to another institution should consult with an Academic Advisor at Camosun College for assistance with course planning.
Pre-Social Work Requirements
Optional Program Credential Designation
A student who successfully completes ASDG 101 but does not complete ASDG 201 will not qqualfiy for a Cooperative Education Designation; however, the student will qualify for an Internship Designation.
- The course requirements for the Associate Degree program credential are mandated by the provincial government. Students must complete a total of 20 university transfer courses, and achieve an overall GPA of 2.0 (“C”), to obtain an Associate of Arts Degree. No course may be used to meet more than one of the specific requirements; 25% of the courses must be completed at Camosun College.