Aug 09, 2022
Visit Program Webpage
||Associate Science Degree in General Science
The Associate Degree program at Camosun College is designed to provide a broad educational experience balanced with in-depth study in specific disciplines. Students are exposed to concepts, theories and modes of inquiry in the arts and sciences. The program also encourages students to entertain a variety of viewpoints and develop social awareness within a global context. As well, students have opportunities to develop and enhance the skills essential for academic success at an advanced level. Upon completion of an Associate Degree, students will have a solid foundation of knowledge and abilities for further study or employment in their chosen field.
And one of:
At the completion of the program students will be able to:
- Communicate clearly, concisely and coherently in a style appropriate for the purpose, situation and audience.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communications.
- Find, evaluate and appropriately use needed information.
- Demonstrate computer and technological literacy.
- Conduct research.
- Use evaluative and interpretive skills.
- Analyze complex information appropriate to an area of concentration or discipline.
- Display advanced reading comprehension.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze, synthesize and integrate knowledge.
- Apply theoretical understanding to practice.
- Apply analytical reasoning to a variety of disciplinary applications.
- Use logical, mathematical and scientific reasoning.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving and analytical reasoning.
- Adhere to academic standards through ethical scholarly practices.
- Apply ethical scholarly practices.
- Demonstrate effective behaviors and skills within a group working toward a common goal or purpose.
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively.
A student who earns an Associate Degree completes 20 courses, and each course must be transferable, in the year taken, to at least one BC Research University:
- University of Victoria (UVic)
- University of British Columbia (UBC)
- University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO)
- University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC)
- Simon Fraser University (SFU)
Students should use the BC Transfer Guide to confirm transfer of each course taken.
Students planning to complete an Associate Degree in General Science and then transfer to another institution should consult with an Academic Advisor at Camosun College for assistance with course planning.
- Two (2) courses in first-year English
* Excluding English, Mathematics and Laboratory Science course
** Must include at least one Laboratory Science course
*** Must include two or more subject areas
Optional Program Credential Designation
A student who successfully completes ASDG 101 but does not complete ASDG 201 will not qualify for a Cooperative Education Designation; however, the student will qualify for an Internship Designation.
- The course requirements for the Associate Degree program credential are mandated by the provincial government. Students must complete a total of 20 university transfer courses, and achieve an overall GPA of 2.0 (“C”), to obtain an Associate of Arts Degree. No course may be used to meet more than one of the specific requirements; 25% of the courses must be completed at Camosun College.